Notice of Vacancy
Center for Literacy
Learning Point Associates, an education not-for-profit organization founded as the North Central Regional Educational Laboratory (NCREL) in 1984, seeks candidates for the position of Program Associate. The person selected for this position will hold a primary appointment in the Literacy Signature Area, one of the three signature areas in the Laboratory.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop services and products that can be used by teachers, administrators, policymakers, and other clients to address the literacy needs of all students.
Provide professional development and technical assistance to teachers, administrators, and other educators in order to improve student literacy.
Manage complex projects according to organizational standards which include the use of quality assurance processes.
Provide assistance and support in policy development, implementation, and evaluation to state education agencies, regional education agencies, school districts, and schools.
Identify important areas of research and effective practices in literacy education.
Assist in the development of research proposals and the implementation of research projects.
Assist in the development of the capacity of school districts to plan, implement, and monitor programs for improving student learning, using data collection tools, analyzing data, and determining program impact.
Support the Center Director in response to literacy-related requests from the field.
Collaborate with all staff of the Center for Literacy.
Collaborate with all signature areas of NCREL and all business units of Learning Point Associates to meet the goals of the organization.
Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Master's degree in literacy, education, curriculum and instruction, or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in literacy instruction and assessment and in planning for instruction.
- Experience in providing research, products, and service at local and/or state levels.
- Demonstrated ability to lead professional development for schools and school districts.
- Knowledge of current research, theory, and practice in literacy education, including the literacy education of children from underrepresented groups.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong skills in communicating with individuals and groups both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use technology for communication, information sharing, and information access.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Doctoral degree in literacy, education, curriculum and instruction, or related field.
- Experience in one or more of these areas: providing professional development in adolescent literacy instruction; working with struggling readers who are English language learners, children with IEPs, or secondary students with low academic literacy
skills and/or in working with teachers of such students; literacy coaching; leadership of
literacy programs at the school or district level; technology and literacy instruction.
- Experience conducting research in literacy, curriculum and instruction, or related area.
Experience in grant writing and implementation.
Organization Location and Reporting Line:
The person selected for the position will have his or her primary organizational appointment in the Center for Literacy. He or she will principally report to the Director of the Center for Literacy. Performance reviews will be conducted within the Center.
Salary and Benefits:
The position of Program Associate is an exempt position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with training and experience expected at this level of employment. Learning Point Associates offers a comprehensive benefits package including health and retirement benefits. Learning Point Associates is an employment-at-will employer.
Interested applicants should submit a letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Donna Vesely Department of Human Resources
Job Code: PA_LIT
Learning Point Associates
1120 East Diehl Road, Suite 200
Naperville, IL 60563-1486
Fax: (630) 649-6700
Minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Learning Point Associates is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, or national origin. This policy includes the handicapped and all disabled and/or Vietnam era veterans. Learning Point Associates utilizes only job-related criteria in making decisions concerning applicants and employees.