Notice of Vacancy
Center for Literacy
Learning Point Associates, an education not-for-profit organization founded as the North Central Regional Educational Laboratory (NCRELŽ) in 1984, seeks candidates for the position of Program Associate. The person selected for this position will hold a primary appointment in the Literacy Signature Area, one of the three signature areas in the Regional Educational Laboratory (REL).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide professional development and technical assistance to teachers, administrators, and other educators in order to improve student literacy.
- Assist with the dissemination of literacy resources, materials, strategies, assessments, and practices.
- Provide assistance and support in policy development, implementation, and evaluation to state education agencies, regional education agencies, school districts, and schools.
- Develop products to address the literacy needs of all students, including those who are from underrepresented ethnic/racial groups and those who have special educational needs.
- Identify important areas of research and effective practices in literacy education.
- Assist in the development of research proposals and the implementation of research projects.
- Assist in the development of the capacity of school districts to plan, implement, and monitor programs for improving student learning, using data collection tools, analyzing data, and determining program impact.
- Support the director of the Center in response to literacy-related requests from the field.
- Collaborate with all staff of the Center for Literacy
- Collaborate with all Centers in the Laboratory as needed to meet the goals of the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Master's degree in literacy, education, curriculum and instruction, or related field.
- Experience in literacy instruction and assessment, and in planning for instruction.
- Experience in providing research, products, and service at local and/or state levels.
- Demonstrated ability to lead professional development for schools and school districts.
- Knowledge of current research, theory, and practice in literacy education, including the literacy education of children from underrepresented groups.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong skills in communicating with individuals and groups, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use technology for communication, information sharing, and information access.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Doctoral degree in literacy, education, curriculum and instruction, or related field.
- Experience in meeting the literacy needs of young children, English language learners, or children having special educational needs and/or in working with teachers of students in these groups.
- Experience in literacy leadership at the school or district level.
- Experience conducting research in literacy, curriculum and instruction, or related area.
- Experience in grant writing and implementation.
Organization Location and Reporting Line:
The person selected for the position will have his or her primary organizational appointment in the Center for Literacy. He or she will principally report to the Director of the Center for Literacy. Performance reviews will be conducted within the Center.
Salary and Benefits:
The position of Program Associate is an exempt position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with the training and experience expected at this level of employment. Learning Point Associates offers a comprehensive benefits package including health and retirement benefits. Learning Point Associates is an employment-at-will employer.
Interested applicants should submit a letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Donna Vesely Department of Human Resources
Job Code: PA-LIT
Learning Point Associates
1120 East Diehl Road, Suite 200
Naperville, IL 60563-1486
Fax: (630) 649-6700
Letters of interest with appropriate attachments listed above will be accepted and reviewed as received until the position is filled.
Minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Learning Point Associates is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, or national origin. This policy includes the handicapped and all disabled and/or Vietnam era veterans. Learning Point Associates utilizes only job-related criteria in making decisions concerning applicants and employees.