Notice of Vacancy
Senior Technical Associate (Senior Writer)
Center for Comprehensive School Reform and Improvement Contract
Learning Point Associates, an education not-for-profit organization founded as the North Central Regional Educational Laboratory (NCREL®) in 1984, seeks candidates for the position of Senior Writer for the Center for Comprehensive School Reform and Improvement contract, located in our Washington, D.C., office.
The duration of this contract is a one-year period; there is a possibility that work will extend beyond the one-year period. Learning Point Associates has a diverse funding base that includes federal contracts and grants, public and private contracts and grants, and the sale of products and professional services targeting the K–12 education market.
The person selected for this position will be charged with overseeing the writing and editing of newsletters, publications, guides, and other Center products.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Writer will be responsible for:
- Researching and writing Center publications and products.
- Providing substantive editing for documents and publications intended for a variety of audiences.
- Copyediting and proofreading text for a variety of products and audiences.
- Interviewing educators, researchers, and staff members in order to write articles for various projects.
- Researching and writing pieces of proposals, reports, and other documents.
- Participating in scheduling and monitoring the production of projects created by the Center.
- Assigning editing and proofreading tasks to other members of the team as needed.
- Overseeing work of freelance and other contracted editors and writers as needed.
- Accepting other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, English, or communications.
- Five years of professional experience writing on topics related to school reform and improvement.
- Ability to write effectively, clearly, and at an appropriate level for the intended audience.
- Excellent command of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and word usage.
- Conscientious attention to detail.
- Ability to perform both substantive editing and copyediting of documents intended for print or online publication.
- Knowledge of American Psychological Association (APA) style manual to ensure proper use of citations, references, bibliographies, and quoted material.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and independently.
Organization Location and Reporting Line:
The person selected for this position will have his or her primary organizational appointment with the Center for Comprehensive School Reform and Improvement contract. The person will report to the Deputy Director. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
Salary and Benefits:
The position of Senior Writer is an exempt position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with training and experience expected at this level of employment. Learning Point Associates offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health and retirement benefits. Learning Point Associates is an employment-at-will employer.
Interested applicants should submit a letter, resume, salary history, and three current references to:
Donna Vesely Office of Human Resources
Job Code: SrWriter/NCSR
Learning Point Associates
1120 East Diehl Road, Suite 200
Naperville, IL 60563-1486
Fax: (630) 649-6700
Minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Learning Point Associates is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, or national origin. This policy includes the handicapped and all disabled and/or Vietnam-era veterans. Learning Point Associates utilizes only job-related criteria in making decisions concerning applicants and employees.