Learning Point Associates Employment Opportunities
Notice of Vacancy
Center for Technology
Learning Point Associates, an education not-for-profit organization founded as the North Central Regional Educational Laboratory (NCREL®) in 1984, seeks candidates for the position of Program Specialist in the Center for Technology. The person selected for this position will hold a primary appointment in the Technology Signature area, one of the signature areas in the Laboratory.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Program Specialist will be responsible for:
- Conducting Web-based and library research, including annotating and summarizing these materials as needed, for literature summaries, electronic products, and print-based publications created by Technology center staff.
- Writing annotated biographies and summaries for databases created by the Technology center staff, as well as creating and maintaining those databases, as needed.
- Working collaboratively with NCREL program staff to develop products based on research conducted by the Technology center staff and assisting staff with product design and development.
- Assisting Technology center staff in performing statistical, quantitative, and qualitative analysis of data, including frequency analysis and statistical analysis of data.
- Assisting Technology center staff in conducting qualitative and quantitative field research, as needed, including phone and personal interviews, case studies, and field observations.
- Copyediting and proofreading text-based, Web-based, and CD-ROM-based content developed for products created by the Center for Technology.
- Assisting Technology center staff in writing, editing, and proofreading articles for national research publications.
- Experience performing readability analysis and structural analysis of text to assist in the writing and editing of text to optimize content and organization for specific audiences.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in English, Applied Linguistics, Technical Writing, Communication, Instructional Design, or a related field, and at least 2 years specialized experience in Communication, Technical Writing, Linguistics, or a related field preferred.
- A background in one or more of the following: Education, Linguistics, Educational Research, and Technical Writing or Editing.
- Some experience in instructional or assessment pedagogy and discourse analysis.
- Extensive knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and issues of style as they apply to the use of modern English in academic discourse, including a thorough knowledge and understanding of APA, MLA, and Chicago style.
- Experience using Internet search engines for research purposes, including searchable databases such as ERIC, First Search, and ILLINET Online; and metasearch engines such as Google, Dogpile, Mamma, Profusion, and Bullseye.
- Knowledge of, and some experience using, PowerPoint®, PageMaker®, FileMaker Pro, Publisher®, Access®, Word®, Excel®, E-mail programs, Acrobat®, and Web-browsing software such as Internet Explorer® or Navigator® preferred.
- A strong work ethic and the drive to learn, and experiment with, new concepts.
- The ability to work independently, as a member of a team, and with diverse groups.
- The ability to handle multiple projects with excellent follow-up skills as well as the ability to prioritize work on projects.
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Knowledge of, and some experience using HTML and/or other programming languages preferred.
- A strong background in writing, with a research and public relations writing background preferred.
Organization Location and Reporting Line:
The person selected for the position will have his or her primary organizational appointment in the Center for Technology. He or she will principally report to the Director of Technology Research, Center for Technology. Performance reviews will be conducted within the Center.
Salary and Benefits:
The position of Program Specialist is an exempt position within the Laboratory. Salary is competitive and commensurate with training and experience expected at this level of employment. NCREL offers a comprehensive benefits package including health and retirement benefits. NCREL is an employment-at-will employer.
Qualified applicants should submit a letter, resume, and salary history to:.
Department of Human Resources
Attn: Donna Vesely
Job Code: PS_Tech
North Central Regional Educational Laboratory
1120 East Diehl Road, Suite 200
Naperville, Il 60563-1486
Fax: (630) 649-6700
Letters of interest with appropriate attachments listed above will be accepted and reviewed as received until the position is filled.
Minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
NCREL is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, or national origin. This policy includes the handicapped and all disabled and/or Vietnam era veterans. NCREL utilizes only job-related criteria in making decisions concerning applicants and employees.